February 24, 2010

Piecing the centerpieces

A couple weeks ago, I bought some goodies from Michael's to do a trial run for the reception centerpieces. This was my first attempt:



I filled vases with potpourri and put a candle on top in the center one. The vases would be more spaced out, probably with votive candles in between, and I would have silk rose petals going down the center of the table as well. It doesn't look horrible, but a crooked candle on top of potpourri just seems a little too dangerous.


 

Even without the candle, though, I'm afraid this just wasn't the best idea for centerpieces. The potpourri I have in my apartment is a year old, so I had forgotten how strong its smell is when it's new. Granted, it will probably fade a little in 4 months, but I still don't think our guests would want to have it right in front of them while they're eating.




It is, however, some nice decor in my apartment. My large vase had been sitting empty on top of my octagonal cabinet since I moved in, and it's looking a lot better now that it has some company. 
 
I can probably still use the potpourri for wedding decor somehow, but it's back to the drawing board for the centerpieces.


 

This glass filled with letterpress blocks is pretty awesome, but I'm not sure I'd use it for a wedding, although these people did.



Floating fruit could be interesting, if it were in our wedding colors. Do pomegranates float?




I would love to try something with artificial cranberries (and without pink water) if I could just find some. I saw them at Michael's before Christmas, but apparently they're more of a seasonal item. If anyone has ideas on where to find some, let me know.

I think my next step will be to look around as many stores as possible for any craft, decor, or food item that is dark red and could possibly be used in centerpieces. Any ideas?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts on this. I love reading all my comments!