March 7, 2014

Trekking Through the Bible: Selective Memory (Leviticus 26-27 & Numbers 1-13)

One of my goals this year is to read the entire Bible in chronological order. To help me absorb more of what I read as well as to help with accountability, I'm posting every week or two about what I read the previous week. 

It's been a few years since I last read Leviticus and Numbers, but as I remembered it, Numbers was much better than Leviticus. However, the only thing I could remember about Numbers was the Aaronic bessing found in Numbers 6:24-26:

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace." 

And really, while that's nice and beautiful, the rest of what I've read in Numbers so far is not nearly as poetic. It's not as seemingly strange as Leviticus, just kind of dry for the most part. It is called Numbers, after all. The book starts out with the first census of Israel. 

In chapter 5, we find directions for dealing with allegedly unfaithful wives. Basically, a priest gives a woman a drink of water, and if she did not in fact lie with another man, she will be free from the curse. If she is guilty, however, "her belly will swell, her thigh will rot, and the woman will become a curse among her people" (Numbers 5:27). Yikes. Something about that description is just a little disturbing to me. Yet, I had forgotten all about this part of Numbers that comes almost immediately before the Aaronic blessing.

This is why I'm doing this. I want to read the entire Bible this year because I can't claim I believe the Bible is the complete, inerrant Word of God if I don't even know all that's in the Bible.



4 comments:

  1. Belly swelling = Pregnancy
    Thigh rotting = STD ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the belly swelling is not pregnancy. According to verse 28 of Numbers 5 if she is not guilty she will conceive children. In the Bible bearing children is a blessing from God so it would not make sense for a curse to cause someone to be pregnant.

      Delete
  2. Reading the entire Bible is both one of the hardest and one of the best things I've ever done. You're doing great - those first few books can be tough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Now that I'm reading through Deuteronomy I keep thinking, didn't I already read this?

      Delete

Let me know your thoughts on this. I love reading all my comments!