November 8, 2011

Adventures with Pumpkins: Carving & Cooking


Can you guess whose pumpkin is whose?


Our approaches to pumpkin carving were a good example of our varying approaches to most things in life.


I kept my design simple since I had never carved a pumpkin before, but I still put a lot of thought into it. I sketched out my design, created vector art in Illustrator, printed it out, taped it to my pumpkin, and traced over it with a pushpin. 



Finally, I was able to start carving.

Nathan grabbed a knife and went at it, with no plan whatsoever.

"Are you making a dog or an alien?"
"I'm not sure yet!"



We're good for each other.



I toasted most of the seeds, but I wasn't impressed with how they turned out. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I'm just not a fan.



I also put all the cutout pieces into the crock pot and made puree out of them. I got about a cup and a half out of it. Now I just have to decide what to do with it. I've made four pumpkin recipes so far this season, but I still have several recipes on my Pinterest pumpkin board left to try.

Have you had any adventures with pumpkin this year?

8 comments:

  1. we didn't carve any pumpkins! Too bad you didn't like the roasted seeds, that my favourite part.

    I love the photo of you carving with your dog staring at you in the background lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jen Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal was with the seeds. Nenya's a good supervisor. She got to eat some of the pumpkin pieces too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very cute looking pumpkins! I would suggest making the low calories pumpkin cupcakes at skinnytaste.com

    YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Newlyweds on a Budget Thanks for the suggestion! I haven't made cupcakes since the 16 dozen I made for our wedding and have never made them from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, typical males! Your pumpkin turned out great! I've never made anything with pumpkin, so if you find anything good, do share :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @the rookie years Thanks, Brittany! I've only used canned pumpkin before, so I'm anxious to see if the fresh stuff works better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pumpkins look beautiful!

    I probably would go with some classic pumpkin pie! OR Pumpkin cheesecake or pumpkin whoopie pies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pumpkins look great! I haven't carved any yet this year :(

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts on this. I love reading all my comments!