November 16, 2011

Getting Serious About Getting Fit


If you've read any of my posts on my goals for this year, you know I've been trying to start an exercise program all year and failing month after month. Now that it's November, I'm finally starting to find success, and it's really exciting.

Finding Motivation
Even though I've known for years that regular exercise is healthy, I had no desire to do it. Besides, I was thin without exercise. But I know I won't stay this thin forever living the lifestyle I have been. While I would walk up to three miles a day around campus in college, the only exercise I get at work now is walking up and down one short flight of stairs to get to the restroom. Something had to change. I read once that we're in our physical prime at age 18-24. I don't know if that's true or not, but with 25 just a couple months away, I'm determined it won't be true for me. I want to be in the best shape of my life at 25! Another huge motivation is making a habit of exercise before becoming pregnant.

Finding Time
I really didn't think I could fit exercising into my schedule. It wasn't even that I didn't have enough free time but that I couldn't figure out when to fit it in. Getting up before 6:00 wasn't working out, I was hungry by the time I got home at 5:30, and by the time dinner digested I was too tired. My solution was to eat a bigger breakfast, eat lunch as late as possible, and exercise as soon as I got home. Eating a bigger breakfast is healthier anyway. Dinners are either made ahead and put in the oven as soon as I'm done running, or really simple. Last night was boxed macaroni and cheese with carrots.

Finding What Works
I'm not a naturally athletic person. At all. In kindergarten, I did outstanding on everything except throwing and catching a ball. In sixth grade, I was the kid no one wanted on their team. When Nathan and I had tried to go running in the past, it didn't work well for me because I'd be gasping for air after running a minute. Now I'm halfway through the Couch to 5K program, and I still feel great after running multiple sets of five minutes at a time. Running 30 minutes straight still sounds scary, but I'm beginning to realize that my body can do a lot more than my brain thinks it can.

Finding a Partner (or Two)
I honestly don't know how I could get through these runs on my own. Nathan has gone with me every day but one (when he was working late). When I feel like there's no way I can go another two minutes, Nathan encourages me to keep going. Even though he could run a 5K right now if he wanted, he's doing this program to help me. Nenya has also been going with us. We didn't think she would make it past the first couple weeks, but she's been doing better than I have. It turns out this progressive running program works for couch potato Corgis too!


If you exercise, what helps you stay serious about it? If not, what's holding you back from exercising?

6 comments:

  1. LOVE these tips! I'm a big fan of incorporating exercise into your lifestyle. I also love programs that include a diet plan AND workout.
    I'm a new follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kasondra Thanks for your comment and for following! I'm trying to work on my diet as well - cutting out the sugar and processed foods, adding more fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work!! I've been trying to get motivated to lose weight too. I've finally found something I can exercise to everyday - Jillian's 30 Day Shred. I like that it only takes 20 minutes but works you really hard.

    Now, the eating less and eating healthier part, I haven't really been consistent on that yet...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Betsy @ Romance on a Dime Thanks! I've heard of the 30 Day Shred and it sounds like a good program. Weight loss isn't my goal at this point, but it might be a good option for after having a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amanda

    Can I send you a video for this really awesome product I found? Seriously, it's good for you and it actually tastes good. It's helped me lose 10lbs in the past few months and gives me energy to deal with my kids. It's better than a multivitamin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Kasondra Thanks, but I'm not interested in weight loss products.

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts on this. I love reading all my comments!