May 12, 2010

Making my card box

You know you're getting down to the last few weeks of wedding planning when you have to get a cart at Hobby Lobby for the first time ever.

...and when your dining room looks like this:



...and you spend your lunch break doing this:














Among my recent Hobby Lobby purchases were supplies to make a card box.


















A paper maché box, wine colored ribbon, white tempera paint, and a black 3D sticker.

I used three light coats of paint. This is how it looked after the first coat.















I used an X-Acto knife to cut a slot in the top of the lid. This didn't work too well since the box was so thick, but I smoothed out my bad cutting job with some fine grit sandpaper.















I wrapped both the rim of the lid and the middle of the box with ribbon, gluing it on with a glue stick as I went.















I also made a bow for the top of the box using the same ribbon.















The 3D sticker went on the front..















And voila! 

Including the paint, this project cost me about $8.50. I could have used something cheaper for our guests to put their cards in, but it wouldn't have fit our wedding colors and style this well. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts on this. I love reading all my comments!