May 3, 2011

10 Things I Learned on Our Florida Trip

 
Nathan and I took a trip to Pensacola, Florida, last month. Nathan graduated from Pensacola Christian College, and he was excited to finally be able to show me where he spent five years of his life. With one day of driving, three days there, and another day driving back, it was somewhat exhausting, but it was nice to be able to relax a little. Here are 10 things I learned on our first post-honeymoon trip together.
 


1. Pensacola Christian College feels very little like Ball State University.
I was aware that Nathan and I attended very different colleges, but being at PCC in person gave me a better picture of those differences. Although I had no problem putting on a skirt to comply with the PCC dress code, it felt kind of unnatural since I wore jeans 90% of the time I was in college. "I feel like we're going to church!" I told Nathan as I got in the car. Really, we kind of were; we attended chapel along with all of the students Friday morning. And, even as a married man, Nathan felt a little uncomfortable when his wife kissed him on a campus where even hand holding is forbidden.


2. Nathan and I can spend 13 hours in the car without getting mad at each other.
This was good to know. I wouldn't say we enjoyed every minute of our ridiculously long trip, but I couldn't have asked for better company.




3. Nathan was a very memorable student.
Five years after graduating, his professors still remembered him. I've only been out of college two years, and I doubt very many of my professors would remember my name.



4. Alabama dirt is RED.
This photo doesn't begin to do it justice. When Nathan told me about the red dirt, I was expecting it to look like the clay tennis courts at the French Open. But some of it was a bright red, almost like the radioactive Fiesta Ware.



5. Florida isn't always warm.
Okay, I kind of knew that before, but it still surprised me how cold it was at the beach. Even though there were still plenty of girls in bikinis, I kept my coat on part of the time.


 
6. Bar soap is BAD for my wedding ring.
Normally I don't have a problem using motel soap for a few days, but now that I know what it does to my wedding band, I may have to bring liquid soap the next time we go on vacation. The soap was caked in behind the diamonds of my ring, and even a cleaning at Jared didn't get it out. (Once I brought it to the attention of the sales associate, she said she had some tricks up her sleeve and was able to get it out.)
  


7. Nathan is a driving beast.
He drove two-thirds of the way to Florida and two-thirds of the way home. I even had coffee on the way back to try to wake myself up to drive again, but all he needed was a four hour break in the middle.


8. Alabama has some crazy roadkill.
In addition to the aforementioned armadillos, I saw a few coyotes and some animals I couldn't identify...mink? Weasel? Dingo?


 
9. Groupons aren't always amazing deals.
I signed up to receive the daily Groupon emails for Pensacola a few months before our trip, and I bought a Groupon for Surf Burger, a restaurant on Pensacola Beach. It was a really good lunch with a fabulous view, but with all the gas we burned up driving around for 30 minutes to find parking, it wasn't as great of a deal as I had hoped.


10. I still hate grits. 
It's been at least 15 years since I last tried grits, so I kept an open mind. I just don't like them, and I don't know why. However, fried okra is quite tasty.


Top Ten {Tuesday}

3 comments:

  1. So fun! I've heard of PCC...and I went to a similar school w/the skirts! YIKES! I'd much rather be in jeans!

    And I'm very sad you don't like grits. If you ever come to Atlanta I'll make you some Creamy Dreamy Grits and you might love 'em! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip! And good to know that you can be happy during a long road trip. The true test of a relationship!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know your thoughts on this. I love reading all my comments!